IN THE MEANTIME – The New Normal
Small Group Time:
Talking through the message during the week helps you and your group turn what God is saying to you into action steps. Begin with key questions, add any optional Scriptures and questions if needed, and then wrap up by deciding on your next steps.
What do we do when our circumstances are so challenging there’s no way forward and no way out? We have problems for which there seem to be no solutions. We have questions without answers. During times like these, we’re tempted to run or give up. We’re tempted to give in to jealousy, resentment, and anger . . . especially anger toward God. That’s because when life gets hard, it feels like God is absent, apathetic, or angry. But what if he isn’t? Is it possible to hang on to joy, hope, and patience in the meantime?
- Has there been a situation recently that you tried really hard to fix, but at the end, you just couldn’t fix it (like Ben’s t-shirt story)?
- Have you ever seen someone demonstrate great faith in God despite difficult circumstances? If so, how did that person’s faith influence your own?
- When have you faced a difficult event or season in life that caused you to feel you’d never be happy again or that no good could come from what you were experiencing or that there was no point in continuing? What happened?
- During the message, Ben asserted that God loves you regardless of whether it feels like he loves you. How would your life be different if you lived as though you fully believed that truth?
- Talk about a time when you felt God was absent from your life, apathetic about what you were going through, or angry with you. How did it influence your relationship with him? What did you do?
- Read Matthew 11:2-5. How would it change your perspective if you took your eyes of your own circumstances & looked for ways God was moving in the lives of others around you? Is it possible that others are in more need or have been waiting longer or need the hope/love of Christ desperately?
- Read Matthew 11:6. Blessed are those who do not fall away on account of God’s timing. Why is it so hard to wait on God’s timing?
- If you’re currently in the middle of difficult circumstances or when you are in the future, what are some practical things you can do to remind yourself that God hasn’t abandoned you? What role can a Community Group play in shoring up your faith when God is silent?
• What’s one thing you will do this week as a result of something you learned from this message?